Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Crater Lake

No story this time, just a few of the photos from around the crater.

First, it's important to realize that the rim is at over 2000 meters (6600 feet), which is like touring around the top of Whistler mountain. It's so high that I had to dial up the idle on my bike because it was running a bit anemic due to the thin air.

The elevation is the second number from the bottom on my GPS.

When I'd been there previously, it was July or August and it was 7 Celsius. That's freaking cold for summer!

Even this year, in the midst of a heatwave, the snow is evident in this photo on the crater side facing Wizard Island.


I moved further along to get a closer view


Still further along the Rim, the rock formations are pretty neat


I enjoyed my visit


One of the interesting things about stopping here is that there is often nothing visible behind the rim. I think that's what makes the photos have an odd feel. We're just used to the water being at the bottom, with frames of reference in the background.

Just a few of the, hopefully better, images from the Crater. Being there during the middle of the day is of course far from ideal. Michelle and I have been talking about going down there for a few days next year and spending a bit of time hiking and visiting the lake at different times of day as I really would like to catch some better light :)

No comments: