Monday, October 20, 2014

2014 Dual sport road trip - Day 7

Leaving the lodge in Halfway after a damn fine breakfast Tony and I went looking for a ghost town that was just north of Halfway. One of the reasons we'd chosen it for a stop was it's proximity.

It was a short run till we left civilization behind



Or did we? This was immediately to the left of the picture above:

Now, you might ask, who needs a wifi hotspot in the middle of nowhere? Well, don't look at me, I don't have the slightest :)

Unfortunately most of the buildings in the 'ghost town' were actually occupied or had big No Trespassing signs, but there were a few we could get close to.





Tony took more photos of the buildings, I stalked this deer :)

Yeah, I didn't get all that close. But I had fun.

Our bikes, resting.


From there we rode west and even a bit north. At one point I wasn't sure if we were on the right path (note: GPS units only help so much), but we were and the road was amazing, and so were the views.




The road


From here we rode to "where the hills have eyes". If you don't know, consider yourself lucky ;) Didn't stop there for lunch after all though, but we did chat with a bunch of sunburned Harley riders. The looked at us rather suspiciously with all our gear on. Then we pushed on, further across Oregon and towards The Dalles.

It was damn hot, so shade got the thumbs up


Lunch was at an old diner in Hoeppner. The town had had fought a wildfire just a few days before and the entire town was surrounded by scorched earth. Pretty scary.

The last stop before The Dalles was an abandoned old house just off the highway.


That's not a bloody hand print, is it?


I sure hope there isn't some creepy mass-murderer inside!

Nope, just Tony :)

The bikes were getting impatient, so we mounted up and rode towards cold beers and food.



It's strange, but these days when I get into The Dalles it feels awfully close to home. I've made it back from there in a day, but Tony and I were planning to make one more stop. Though finding a room proved really difficult as just about everything we wanted was sold out.

But that's something for the next post :)

No comments: